Ragda Patties, also known as Ragda Pattice, are a popular street food item in Mumbai that everyone who tries them loves. Pan-fried potato patties are accompanied by a dried pea curry, a selection of tangy, sweet, and spicy chutneys, as well as creamy yogurt, ground spices, and crunchy sev. Each nibble is overflowing with astounding flavours and surfaces for a dish that leaves you needing to an ever increasing extent. To make my ragda patties at home, you can follow my step-by-step instructions with pictures here!
Fried potato patties with a crispy exterior and a soft interior are served with homemade ragda, a spiced curry made with dried peas.
To balance the strong flavours, they are then topped with a rainbow of delicious spicy, sweet, and tangy chutneys and a drizzle of cool, creamy yogurt. The dish is done with a sprinkling of zest powders and crunchy roasted gram flour vermicelli (sev) for additional extraordinary surfaces.
The blissful combination of tangy and sweet flavours is referred to as chatpata in Hindi. Furthermore, you will scarcely believe, this ragda patties recipe certainly brings that chatpata taste!
For Making Ragada:
- 250 gms Dried White Peas
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¼ cup Chopped Onion
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Green Chillies
- ¼ Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 2-3 tablespoon water
For Making Pattice:
- 350 gms Boiled Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- Coriander Leaves
Steps To Perfectly Boil White Peas
- In order to make the savoury Ragada Pattice start off with washing the white peas with fresh water and then soaking them in water for 4-5 hours.
- After they are well soaked, discard the water using a mesh strainer.
- Add the soaked peas in a pressure cooker and then add some salt and water to it. Pressure cook the peas for 3 whistles and then allow the cooker to cool naturally.
- After the cooker is cooled down, take the peas out in a bowl.
Steps To Make Ragada
- Now, to make ragda heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds in it.
- After that add ¼ cup of chopped onions and saute them until they become a beautiful golden brown.
- After saute the onions for 2 minutes, add 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste in the mix. Stir the onion and the paste well for another 1 minute in medium heat.
- When the colour of the onion turns golden brown add ½ cup of chopped tomatoes in them. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh green chillies and cook them till the tomatoes turn soft.
- After a minute add the spices including ¼ turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder and a teaspoon of chaat masala in it. Saute all the spices well for 2-3 minutes until the colour turns to brown. After the spices are sauteed add 2-3 tablespoons of water in the pan. Now, cook the spices in the pan until the tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
- After the tomatoes are soft and pulpy add boiled white peas in them (which we have boiled earlier) . Add salt to taste. Stir the ingredients in the pan for a minute and then turn off the heat.
- Take out the delicious ragada on a plate.
- (Precaution: Since we added salt while boiling the white peas, you can adjust the amount of salt according to your preference while making the ragada.)
Steps To Make Pattice :
- Take 350 gms of potatoes and boil them in a cooker. Now, peel the potatoes and mash them well in a bowl.
- Now, add coriander leaves, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and salt to taste in the bowl.
- After the spices add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and 2-3 tablespoons of cornflour (to bind the mashed potatoes and spices together) in the bowl.
- Mix the potatoes and spices well with your hands and prepare a dough.
- Take small parts of the well mixed potatoes and shape them in patty forms.
- Make patties/ pattice of the dough and keep them aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and shallow fry the patty from all sides. Keep the heat to medium-high while shallow frying the patties.
- After they are shallow-fried, take all the patties out on a plate.
Steps to Assemble:
Pour a few tablespoons of ragda (that we made previously) over a plate.
Place the hot patties on top of the ragada and serve them by sprinkling some green chillies, chopped onion, tomatoes, tamarind chutney, coriander leaves and sev on it.
Your tangy Ragada Pattice is ready to devour.